Well, well, well… Here we are again on another Birthday Eve. Those of you who have been around since last year will remember that on the eve of my 16th Birthday I shared 16 things I had learned in 16 years, and since I essentially covered 16 years worth of material in that post, I figured that on the eve of my 17th Birthday, I’d focus on 16 things I’ve learned at age 16. If you read my 2017 post, you’ll know that I had a flipping huge year. So much happened and I genuinely believe I learned more than what I still realize. A whole lot happened, and so I figured I’d share 16 of my biggest lessons learned at age 16.
As always, you obviously don’t have to listen to me. And to be honest, you might think these are all composed of nothing but common sense. But for the almost-sixteen-year-old out there that’s reading this right now, maybe take some of these into account so you don’t have to go through the same things I did.
OK I’m going to shut up now and jump right into it. So, Ladies and Gents, may I present to you, 16 things I’ve learned at age 16.
- You can’t do any of this in your own strength. You might think you can, as I did, but I PROMISE YOU, you can’t. That sounds so negative and I don’t mean to burst your bubble but take it from someone who was undoubtedly living a life of faith yet still 100% believed their accomplishments were a product of their work alone, you can’t. Rely on God! Please!!! It’ll save you so much stress, I promise.
- Forgiveness will set you free. Just forgive!!! Seriously! Resentment is such a heavy burden. You’ll be so so so much happier if you just suck it up and realize people make mistakes.
- LISTEN TO PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! You have something to learn from everyone. Don’t let your ego get in the way of learning something new from someone unexpected. Give everyone the same amount of attention. It will surprise you what people have to say.
- Your Mom is right, Dirty Dancing really is the best movie ever.
- Don’t freak out if people stop making an effort. Just be nice and they’ll always come back. Always.
- You won’t remember the nights you stayed in and watched Netflix, enjoy being young.
- Actually, you can do more way more than what you think. I know you think you know your potential, but you are more capable than what you think! You’re going to do HUGE things so believe in yourself!
- Keep God at the center and things will just fall into place. It’s kinda crazy but it always works out.
- There is actually some REALLY good rap music?! Crazy but true!!!!!
- Take pictures! You’re going to want to remember these days.
- The things you take for granted, someone else is praying so hard for. Remember that always.
- Keep checking in on your friends. You’ll realize how much this means to them eventually.
- Take care of your body. This includes being nice to it with your words and thoughts (which tbh, I’m still learning to do).
- Don’t compare yourself to other people. So cliché, I KNOW, but seriously, it’ll just send you down a horrible rabbit hole of negativity and horribleness and ugh 10/10 would NOT recommend.
- Always be nice. To everyone. No matter what. I mean it when I say “always”. You’ll be surprised at where being the “nice girl” gets you.
- ENJOY EVERY MOMENT! You’re in the most defining time of your life, make every second count. These are the days you will reminisce on when you’re 65, so make it worthwhile, and learn to enjoy the journey.
So there you have it. 16 things. 1 year, and a flipping huge year at that.
16, thanks for giving me memories I’ll treasure forever. I’ll miss you, but I’m ready for what’s next.
Talk soon, loves.
All the love.